Kim Kovach teaches fiction writing workshops for adults and creative writing classes for elementary/middle/high school students in Westchester and Fairfield Counties (and worldwide via Zoom!).
She is the author of six fiction books including the short story collection, A Few Bad Decisions, middle grade fiction books, Welcome to Appletown! and Surviving Vertigo, and the Kitchawan Kenny chapter book series. Ms. Kovach created and hosted the 13-episode podcast, Stories from the Creative Writing Circle, on Pawling Public Radio.
FYI — Here are a few highlights from my writer’s life:
- The Fall 2022 adult writing classes are going strong through libraries in New York, Connecticut and New Jersey. Thanks to the magic of Zoom, we have participants from the tri-state area as well as writers joining us from California, Alaska, Wisconsin, the Island of Nevis, and Quito, Ecuador! Writing class participants are enjoying my brand new program – Phiction Writing (writing fiction stories inspired by photographs)!
- In 2020 & 2021 & 2022, I continued to expand my writing classes via Zoom. My virtual Fiction Writing, Personal Story Writing and Creative Writing classes for adults, teens and children are offered via Zoom through the Pound Ridge Library, Norwalk Library, Bronxville Library, New Fairfield Library, Trumbull Library, Bedford Library, Ridgefield Library, Scarsdale Library, Great Barrington Libraries, and the Lifetime Learners Institute . These virtual writing classes keep students inspired and socially connected while staying safe at home. I am thrilled to have participants in Alaska, Massachusetts, Canada and Scotland!
- In 2019, I received a letter from a high school senior (one of my long-time Creative Writing students) telling me how much I have inspired her writing over the years. After graduating in June, she attended my summer session of Creative Writing for Adults classes before heading off to college. So proud!
- New teaching opportunities in 2018 and 2019 for adult writing classes at the Norwalk Public Library, Ridgefield Continuing Education, and Lifetime Learners Institute at Norwalk Community College. Ongoing adult fiction and creative nonfiction classes at the Pound Ridge Library and Bedford Free Library.
- Creating and leading Reader’s Theater for Adults programs at the Lewisboro Library in 2018 & 2019.
- In 2018 I started writing a weekly column: Reading, Writing & Chocolate for Halston Media. My 234th weekly newspaper column was published as of September 2022! I also write feature articles for Westchester Senior Voice .
- Contributing writer and creative director of the anthology, Fiction on Fridays, published with the support of the Bedford Free Library. The anthology includes short stories from ten men and women who have participated in my Fiction Writing Workshop classes at the Bedford Free Library over the past six years. Fiction on Fridays is available at the Bedford Library and on Amazon.com.
- Expanding my creative writing classes for elementary and middle school students to Ridgefield, CT to challenge wonderful groups of fifth grade and seventh grade writers to think differently and write short stories in our creative writing classes each week.
- Video-interviewed by a sixth grade student who had chosen my book, Surviving Vertigo, as the selection for her Mother/Daughter book group to read.
- My 7th and 8th grade creative writing students joined me in the recording studio to read their own short stories for one episode of the podcast, Stories from the Creative Writing Circle, on Pawling Public Radio.
- At a parent’s request, arranged for one of my ninth grade students to continue our creative writing classes on Saturday mornings after her family’s move to Boston. (She joined our class via FaceTime each week!)
- Front-page feature article on my writing career and radio program published in the Lewisboro Ledger.
- Leading fun classroom writing workshops at elementary schools including Katonah Elementary School, Increase Miller Elementary School and Pound Ridge Elementary School.
- Establishing and teaching Fiction Writing workshops for adults at the Lewisboro Library (since 2007!) and the Bedford Free Library (since 2011! ).
- Collaborating with my mom, artist Sandra Kovach, who graciously agreed to illustrate my Kitchawan Kenny children’s chapter books.
- Seeing my first book, A Few Bad Decisions, featured on the New Fiction display at Borders Books. (That’s actually a photograph of me bungee jumping from a hot air balloon on the book’s front cover!)
To contact Kim: